Sunday, March 1, 2009

Pacquiao: "I’ll take Hatton’s crown"

Manny Pacquiao has realized one of his long-cherished dreams: To breathe the moist air in faraway England.

Exactly two months from now, he will try to accomplish another. That is, to add the light welterweight crown—at the expense of British superstar Ricky Hatton—to his four previous world championship belts.

“My dream was to come here to England and it has come true,” Pacquiao told the British newspaper The Sunday Telegraph. “I also have the desire to take the light welterweight title, and it’s a big honor to be in another fight which the fans want to see.”

Pacquiao arrived in London on Saturday morning after a 16-hour flight and later faced Hatton for the first time at the Trafford Centre in Manchester.

The event was a kickoff press conference-cum-fan rally for their “The East vs the West” title clash slated at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

Pacquiao will be after Hatton’s International Boxing Organization crown in that May 2 slugfest. The Ring Magazine has also announced that the winner of that bout will be the revered boxing magazine’s light welterweight kingpin.

Accompanied by lawyer Jeng Gacal and trainer Freddie Roach, Pacquiao took the 8:40 a.m. schedule on a first-class cabin where he talked to his family over the phone and had a calf massage, according to Internet reports.

Four cars were waiting for the Filipino’s entourage when they arrived in Manchester.

Pacquiao did not directly predict he will take out Hatton, who is also 30 years old like the Gen. Santos City southpaw, but admitted that winning is a must.

“Every time I fight, I have to win because millions of Filipinos are hoping for victory,” said Pacquiao, who wore a suit. “Millions of people look to me to win. I have to go out and give everything.”

Hatton was more optimistic in front of his countrymen who naturally made up majority of the estimated 6,000 fans.

“On May 2, I’ll be the new pound-for-pound king,” Hatton vowed. “I’ve never been beaten at 10 stone (140 lb). This is my weight. This is where I do best. I promise all my fans I’ll win for Manchester!”

To which Pacquiao retorted: “Good luck but I’m going to win it for the Philippines.” (By Romina Austria)

No comments: